Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Day 8 - Texas Panhandle

My morning began with a visit to the Oklahoma Route 66 museum. It showed the history of the road by decades and ended with an interesting anthology. I was off riding the frontage roads that comprise the former Route 66. In Elk City I visited the National Route 66 Transportation Museum (every town has their own museum). I think I am experiencing museum overload.

I stopped in the town of Erick which is the birth home of Roger Miller (King of the Road) and Sheb Wooley (Purple People Eater). One book suggested that I stop by the City Meat Market for lunch. Well, its no longer a meat market and the owners Harley and Annabelle provide a redneck serenade for visiting travel groups. They invited me to join 30 motorcyclists from Norway for lunch and there musical review. Their venue is a store with all sorts of memorabilia.
They usually perform for tour groups of motorcyclists and bicyclists. They claim to have video clips at You Tube. Search Harley and Annabelle to see a snipet of their performance.

From Erick, I took the mother road to Texola which now is only a ghost town. Then I crossed into Texas. Texas has 178 miles of Route 66 of that about 150 miles remain. Most of it is frontage road for I-40 and some of it is dirt road (not for me!) I made it to Amarillo, TX and enjoyed a homestyle rib dinner.

1 comment:

  1. We have some relatives in Norway who are also hoping to travel the "mother road" sometime when they come to the states. Typically, they don't grasp how far apart things are in the US because they are more used to the shorter distances in Europe. But we are trying our best to help them learn!

    ReplyDelete