Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day 2

Enjoyed a hearty breakfast at my brother's house. He said they don't eat this good every morning. Must have been company staying over. His wife is a wonderful cook. Finally got things in gear after the rush hour to set out driving Route 66 south in Illinois. It was 82 degrees in the garage, so I knew I wwas in store for a hot day. Headed out Route 53 which is the former Route 66. You knew you were on the old 66 when you saw two concrete lanes (abandoned) running alongside your road. I personally experienced the President's American Recovery and Reinvestment Act when I ran into road resurfacing! Parts of the road were ground down to the original pavement (including those former potholes). Then spots had been tarred awaiting the asphalt, but riding on two wheels was treacherous. Stopped at a museum in Joliet about Route 66. Saw a big astronaut statue in Wilmington and visited restored gas stations in Dwight and Odell. I visited with the "Old Coot on Route 66" Mr. Ernie Edwards. He ran the Pig Hip restaurant on Route 66 for almost 60 years. Now, at 92, Ernie has plenty of stories to tell about his business and acquaintances including Col. Harlan Sanders and the time the Col. showed Ernie how he cooked his chicken with the secret spices recipe! Harlan cooked the chicken, ate it and left without paying. Ernie can spin yarns for hours, but I had to press on.

I ended my day with dinner at the Cozy Dog Diner in Springfield. Opened in 1950, they claim to be the originator of the corn dog. Another great attraction along the mother road. I am spending the evening at Route 66 hotel and conference center. With temps over 100, I enjoyed at dip in the outdoor pool. Time for bed. Tomorrow's travels are supposed to take me to Mt. Vernon, MO by supper-time so I can visit with a longtime Boy Scout friend.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having fun! Be sure to drink plenty.... of WATER! :) Be safe!

    ReplyDelete