Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day 3 (on the "moist side"

Day 3 began with saying good bye to Springfield Illinois and heading south on the mother road. Sometimes I had to take I-55, but most of the time I was on a frontage road either east or west of the interstate. I stopped in a diner to have breakfast in Virden. Their specialty was called "The Shoe". It started with toast, topped with breakfast meat, then hash browns, then scrambled eggs all covered with sausage gravy. Don't even want to think about the calories! But it filled me up for breakfast and lunch. I traveled down to Staunton and stopped by to see Henr's Ra66it Ranch & Route 66 Emporium. It has real rabbits and the Volkswagen variety along with a reconstructed gas station and souvenir shop. Old gas station memorabilia and former neon signs bring the nostalgia of bygone days back to life. And Henry is a pleasant gent who admired my Indian Chief.

Headed down to Granite City and up to the Mississippi River to see the Chain of Rocks bridge. This is the original 2 lane bridge that vehicles used to take on Route 66 if they wanted to head into Missouri. The bridge is still used for hikers and was built with a bend in the middle to benefit river navigation and withstand currents. I hiked halfway, but the temperature was hovering in the high 90's, so that was enough of a hike.

Heading into Missouri, I ended up taking Interstate, mostly. Getting on and off when appropriate. Hit serious rain about in Buckhorn. Suited up and continued. Not sure if that was wise or not. Reports later said that they experienced 21 inches of rain within an hour! I could feel the motorcycle "hydroplaning" on the front tire. Time to slow down.

Finally stopped at Springfield. Headed on to a Boy Scout friend's home in Mt. Vernon. A delicious dinner of lasagna and cobbler awaited me after a long (and drenching) day. Thanks to the Goosman's for their hospitality. Tomorrow, its back to Route 66 and on to Kanasas and Grove, Oklahoma.

No comments:

Post a Comment