Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Day 9 - Halfway and Back

Tuesday started out as a cool and sunny day as I set out to try and reach Albequerque, but that meant that my motorcycle was going to cooperate. That was not to be the case. It was only starting intermittently as it was determined that it needed a starter clutch. I eventually got it to start. I found a local Christian mechanic named Bo who agreed to repair my bike. He also owns an Indian, so he was sympathetic to my situation.

About 4pm, he finished my bike and I headed out to continue my westward journey. I stopped at the Cadillac Ranch. 12 Cadillacs are planted vetically in an open field. Graffiti artists are welcome to adorn these vehicles.

Then I went on to Adrian, Texas which claims to be the mid-point on Route 66 between Chicago and Santa Monica, 1,193 miles either way. My trip odometer shows over 1,500 miles so far.

Unfortunately, my bike was still experiencing starter problems, so I returned to Amarillo and Bo is going to troubleshoot my problem on Wednesday. Hopefully, I can make good miles and try to get to Albequerque by nightfall.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the bike! Sounds like you were lucky to find somebody to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck :) Sorry that happened. Hope you're safe.

    ReplyDelete