Friday, July 3, 2009

Day 11 - Old Coots on Scoots

So far, every day has proven to be an adventure. And today was no exception. As I was riding in towards Albequerque, I stopped at a Harley dealership and saw a bunch of bikes and riders lined up. I was looking for directions on how to find Route 66 in town. This group is actually a chapter of senior bikers who call themselves Old Coots on Scoots. They were going on a ride for lunch and invited me to join them. I accepted and off we rode on a section of the mother road that I had not traveled. Looking around, I was probably the youngest person in the group.

After lunch, one of the members gave me a guided tour of town taking me all the way to the western edge and an abandoned girder bridge before bidding me goodbye. He suggested that I try the El Rancho Hotel in Gallup for my evening stay.

This hotel was built in the 1930's and is a rugged wooden lodge structure, but it also was the place where famous stars came to play. My room is named for Humphrey Bogart. His signed photo says, "To El Rancho Hotel, with every good wish."

I am 22 miles from the Arizona border and I have logged over 2200 miles on this journey. I am hopeful that today will be a productive ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment